Mountain View Medical Supply

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stomach Flu in Spring? Yep....

Im recovering from the stomach flu which knocked me out for 4 days - and over the coveted weekend, no less. Mother Nature can be mean sometimes!

How did I have the stomach flu for 4 days, you ask? I fulfilled the requisite 24 hours of driving the porcelain bus along with the body aches and pains. Then, as an added bonus, I was given another three days of nausea and tiredness. Not to mention fog-of-the-brain. There was not much going on upstairs!

I know that a flu shot will be suggested to avoid this again, but I have to be honest and say that I have never had one. I dont believe in them - with the exception of certain people such as the elderly and anyone who has a compromised immune system, and those that are constantly exposed to viruses, such as health care workers.

I havent had any kind of flu for many, many years. In fact, I was trying to remember the last time, and I could not.

I do believe in immunizations in general, and me and my children are up to date.

I am, however still on the fence with the chicken pox vaccination, which I believe is now required. Both of my children had them - one on the 4th of July and one on Christmas Eve (Santa did come, apparently he had had them already). I have known two adults who experienced chicken pox and prior to contracting the virus, neither knew they had not had them before. One said she begged the doctor to put her in a coma until it was over. The other actually slipped into a coma and almost died. The one thing we do know is that chicken pox is better handled at a younger age.

My point is this: At some point, we may protect ourselves to the point where our bodies can no longer protect itself.

Like I said before...mother nature can be mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment