Mountain View Medical Supply

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Habits of Supremely Happy People

Adapted from The Huffington Post, by Kate Bratskeir, 09/16/2013

Martin Seligman theorizes that while 60 percent of happiness is determined by our genetics and environment, the remaining 40 percent is up to us. 
He describes three different kinds of happy lives: 
The Pleasant Life, in which you fill your life with as many pleasures as you can.
The Life of Engagement, where you find a life in your work, parenting, love and leisure.
The Meaningful Life, which consists of knowing your highest strengths and using them to belong to and in the service of something larger than you are.

While pleasure, engagement and meaning sound like big feats to tackle, there are habits you can add to your life that have helped people be more happy!
Surround Yourself with Happy People
Joy is contagious so dump the Debbie Downers (or limit your time with them), and spend more time with uplifting people.
Cultivate Resilience
Resilience, not happiness, is the opposite of depression:  Happy people know how to bounce back from failure.  As the Japanese proverb goes, “Fall seven times and stand up eight.”
TRY to be Happy
It’s as simple as it sounds.  Just trying to be happy can boost your emotional well-being.  Replace doom and gloom thoughts with happy thoughts.
Be Mindful of the Good
Take the time to notice the things that go right or make you happy & you will feel more rewarded throughout the day. 
Laugh Out Loud
Laughter is the best medicine.  It releases happy brain chemicals that make us better equipped to tolerate both pain and stress.  Who doesn’t love to LOL?
Devote Some Time to Giving
Volunteer work is good for both mental and physical health, and those who do volunteer have less depression and can experience “the helper’s high”.
Make Exercise a Priority
Exercise gives you endorphins.  Endorphins make you happy.  Exercise has been shown to ease depression, anxiety and stress, plus it improves health.
Small Talk vs. Deep Conversation
Balance “shootin’ the breeze” with a more substantive, current conversation for increased satisfaction.  Remember, “I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings” is one of the top five regrets of the dying.
Make a Point to Listen
When you really listen, you open up your ability to take in more knowledge, versus blocking the world out with your own words or distracting thoughts.  Good listening strengthens relationships and leads to more satisfying experiences and increased well-being.
Look on the Bright Side
Optimism touts health benefits such as less stress, better pain tolerance and longevity.  When confronted by a bad situation, optimists perceive it as a challenge and try harder. 
Value a Good Mixed Tape
Music is powerful.  Researchers found that people who listened to music regularly had the same decreased anxiety symptoms as those who got 10 hour-long massages.  Of course choosing the right music and songs is important.
Go Outside
Just 20 minutes of fresh air promotes a sense of vitality.  Remember that nature is fuel for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment