Mountain View Medical Supply

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Social Security in 2037

I read today that Social Security, as it stands today, will run out in approximately 2037.

I am 40 years old. In the year 2037, I should be very close to retiring.

One of the proposals to extend Social Security is to increase the retirement age.

Here is what the Social Security Administration mandates for current retirement benefits:

Full retirement age is 67 for those of us born after 1960.
If you start your retirement benefits at age 62, your monthly benefit amount is reduced by about 30 percent. The reduction for starting benefits at age
63 is about 25 percent;
64 is about 20 percent;
65 is about 13.3 percent; and
66 is about 6.7 percent.

Now dont get me wrong, I think we need to fix Social Security, if its possible. But when I am 70, I hope to be enjoying my grandchildren, having a nice garden and having the time to actually homebake tons of goodies at Christmas time. Not working.

I'm a little irked that all of the money I have paid into Social Security wont do me squat in my retirement. Not to mention the money I will continue to pay until Social Security runs out, or at this rate, until I die, because I will now have to work until I die.

I'm also a little irked that the surplus money in Social Security has been "loaned" back to the government who's debt to income ratio puts them in the "DO NOT LOAN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" category. (The same category lenders ignored enough to help put us in our current recession)

Simply put, this is a mess.

So I ask, is it really a good idea to have our government oversee our healthcare system?

No comments:

Post a Comment